On Aug. 21, the sun will walk dark in one of nature’s biggest spectacles: a complete solar eclipse. This phenomenon happens when the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, blocking out the sunlight for numerous minutes.
You are watching: Solar eclipse kit
The route of the complete eclipse will certainly cross Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, north Carolina, Georgia and also South Carolina. The rest of phibìc America will view a partial eclipse.
Not close to one that those states? You have the right to watch NASA’s live stream in ~ nasa.gov/eclipselive.
If you are watching the eclipse, you deserve to safely check out it with this shoebox solar viewer. This form of viewer is also known together a pinhole projection due to the fact that the photo of the eclipse is projected v the pinhole top top a the town hall surface.
WHAT YOU’LL NEEDSmall box with a lid (A shoebox is perfect.)Small square that aluminum foilSmall square of white paperUtility knife or understanding knifeTapePin
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. Reduced a 1″ square feet in the lower right corner of the tiny end the the box.
2. Ice cream the aluminum foil end the cut out square and poke a pinhole in the center of the foil. The pinhole is wherein the sunlight will bright through.
3. Ice cream the white paper on the within of the box directly across from the square of aluminum foil v the pinhole. This is where the sun’s image will appear.
4. Cut one more 1″ square hole in the lower right edge of the long side the the box. This square hole is the city hall hole. Girlfriend will be able to see the white document through this hole.
5. Stand v your ago to the sun, nearby the lid and also look v the open square top top the white paper. Focus the sunlight v the pinhole and also on the white square of paper.
This kind of viewer is likewise known together a pinhole projection since the picture of the eclipse is projected v the pinhole top top the viewing surface. You will be looking in ~ a projection of the eclipse instead of looking straight at the sun.
See more: Javax.Mail.Messagingexception: Could Not Convert Socket To Tls
WARNING: execute NOT LOOK straight AT THE SUN
Looking directly at the sun is favor using a magnifying glass come burn a item of paper. The sunlight is focused onto the back of her eye. The film in the back of your eye is referred to as the retina, and also it can quickly be damaged without her knowledge. The retina of your eye walk not have pain receptors, so girlfriend won’t even feel the damage being done. You can not know that you have actually damaged your vision until lot later.